Photo Courtesy of Getty Images
It finally happened! Yesterday, after more than a year of opposition, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell supported legislation that provides $250 million of election security funding to states.
This dramatic change shows that when #PeopleLikeUs and allies work together to hold elected officials accountable, they have no choice but to listen. While this is a key first step in securing our elections, we still have a long way to go, including continuing to pressure McConnell and other senators to match the $600 million in election security funding passed by the House earlier this year. In the meantime, however, we will definitely celebrate this victory!
Photo Courtesy of John Moore/Getty Images
$975 to appeal a deportation case. $895 to request that a case be reopened or reconsidered. If the Trump administration has its way, these will be the new deportation appeal fees for immigrants—an increase of 900% compared to what both options cost now: $110.
This is despicable. We can’t let this administration continue to discriminate against asylum seekers and migrants exercising their legal rights. Further criminalizing and charging immigrants and other #PeopleLikeUs who come to this country seeking a better life for themselves and their children is reprehensible. Our families deserve to have access to justice without any barriers.
The Trump administration has deployed approximately 7,000 active duty and reserve service members to the southern border to address Trump’s so-called crisis. Meanwhile, outside organizations have documented the real crisis at the border: the numerous human rights abuses in border detention centers, including the neglect and even deaths of detained migrants and migrant children. Trump’s use of the military and migrants as political pawns are a signature sign of authoritarianism and are a threat to our democracy.
We can’t allow this administration to get away with these abuses. If you agree, sign our petition to demand that the Department of Defense Inspector General investigate what’s happening at the border.
Summer may be almost over, but we’ve been hard at work all season preparing for an AMAZING series of events coming up between now and November! Check out the list below for a full schedule of upcoming opportunities and events.
- September 22; Our Founder and President, Sayu Bhojwani, will be speaking on a panel at the Brooklyn Book Festival titled “American Prognosis: What Does and Does Not Make America Great.” You can livestream it starting at 4 p.m. ET here.
- September 24; We’ll celebrate both National Voter Registration Day and Hispanic Heritage Month by turning over our Instagram handle to Arizona State Representative Raquel Teran to see what a day in the life of an elected official looks like! Follow the fun here.
- September 28 – May 16; multiple locations: Boss Ladies – LAST CHANCE TO GET TICKETS FOR THE SEATTLE TRAINING ON 9/28
- October 5; Houston, TX: Ready to Rise – LAST CHANCE TO APPLY IS 9/25
- November 14; Washington, DC: New American Hero Awards
- November 15; Washington, DC: Power and Policy national summit